Saturday, March 10, 2012

a moment of silence

the tragedy that happened exactly a year ago in the Northern coast of Japan...

I really can't believe it's been a year...
and although I still can not get over how horrifying this massive earthquake and tsunami was,
all I can say is the people of Japan have CONTINUED to be resilient, caring and positive.

Today I want to look back. But look back at what we've DONE to spring back from this event.
Many people volunteered to help clear up towns affected by the tsunami..I know several people who actually went. I wish I could as well... Lots of charity events, concerts happened.
I myself, put together a benefit event last May here in Los Angeles.
I was grateful to be organizing this event and be part of the entertainment as well.
I was so glad to have done it. We were able to raise $1001 which went directly to the Japanese Red Cross. You can read more about it here.

We LOST a lot. But let's also think about what we've GAINED from it.
Our people have learned to appreciate LIFE and PEOPLE more.
Through charity work, people (victims as well as the volunteers) have connected, shared love, and gained HOPE.
And we've come to love our country more, and be proud of who we are.
At least all the above apply to me.


There's not a whole lot I can do from here, but today I took part in a run hosted by NIKE, where anyone in the world could participate, as long as you had the Nike+ GPS app.
For every 1km (0.6 miles) ran (the app would track your distance), NIKE will donate 500 yen (about $6) to Architecture for Humanity for the relief effort. So I ran and walked 6 miles.. donating about $50.
Not a lot, but I believe that any amount can make a difference.

It makes me sad that hardly anyone over here in the States ever talk about this disaster any more, including the media. People may have forgotten, or it's tucked away, way in the back of their brains...
 or perhaps they are being considerate and don't want to bring it up in front of me.
It's not considered a big issue any more.. yet there are still many issues involved.

So please, don't ever forget about this event and please join me in a moment of silence.. to think of the victims and those people still affected by radiation, and still without homes.. on this day, March 11th (Japan time) for one short moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!